You are here
Twitter Space on geopolitical frontlines in Africa
On 12 May 2022, the Institute held its first Twitter Space, discussing geopolitical frontlines in Africa, a topic covered in our African Spaces Chaillot Paper.
Africa’s geopolitical dynamics are being shaped by global powers increasingly scrambling to project influence in the continent. Participants discussed key areas in which such competition takes place and explored the geographical and functional spaces that are transforming African geopolitics, from oceans and cities to the information space.
The discussion aimed to connect the dots between the different spaces of geopolitical contest, offering participants and listeners a platform to debate the role of African countries in a multipolar order.
List of speakers:
- Giovanni Faleg: EUISS Senior Analyst, Sub-Saharan Africa
- Alex Vines: Director of the Africa Programme, Chatham House
- Luca Raineri: Researcher in security studies, Sant’Anna School of Advanced Studies
- Carlo Palleschi: La Sapienza University
- Eyob Gebremariam: Research Associate, Perivoli Africa Research Centre (PARC), University of Bristol
- Sean Woolfrey: Senior Advisor and Research Coordinator at the International Institute for Sustainable Development (IISD)