You are here
Research Fellow (Russia/eastern neighbourhood)
INSTITUTE FOR SECURITY STUDIES
OF THE EUROPEAN UNION
The Institute for Security Studies is recruiting a research fellow (Grade A2/A3/A4 of the salary grid of the Coordinated Organisations ) as from 1 February 2012. Candidates should be nationals of one of the EU Member States.
1. Main tasks
The person selected will, under the Director's guidance, participate in the Institute's study and research projects, and other activities such as publications, organisation of seminars and participation in conferences. The Institute has, as its objective, to "contribute to the development of CFSP, including ESDP".
S/he will be required to:
- prepare policy-oriented notes and analyses for the Council of the European Union and the High Representative;
- undertake study and research projects on security questions of interest to the EU, with a view to publication by the Institute or in specialised academic periodicals;
- contribute to the conception and editing of the Institute's publications;
- collaborate in the organisation of the Institute's seminars, task forces and meetings;
- assist in running the Institute's various collective activities.
2. General qualifications
- Higher degree (master's or doctorate), preferably in the field of political, economic or social sciences.
- Confirmed professional experience, particularly as a researcher in a university or in a public or private centre for analysis doing work similar to that of the Institute.
- Sound knowledge of the workings and policies of the European Union.
- Excellent knowledge of the CFSP working languages.
- Highly-developed sense of initiative and responsibility, and an ability to work well in a relatively small international team.
3. Specific qualifications
In addition to a general knowledge of international affairs and security issues, candidates will also be recruited on the basis of specialisation in one of the following fields:
- Developments inside the Russian Federation and in Russian foreign policy
- Political, economic and security developments in the eastern neighbourhood of the EU
- EU policy approaches to Russia and the eastern neighbourhood.
The contract will be for a fixed term of three years, with the possibility of one extension (maximum two years).
The choice of candidates will take into account the necessity to distribute jobs, as far as possible, evenly among the nationals of the EU Member States.
Candidates should submit their applications, together with a detailed curriculum vitae and the names of two referees, by 10 October 2011, by e-mail (email@example.com) and normal post. The two referees should send their recommendations, by separate mail, to:
Álvaro de Vasconcelos
EU Institute for Security Studies
ref: PE - 143
43, avenue du Président Wilson
75775 PARIS CEDEX 16
The Institute for Security Studies provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability or marital status, in accordance with EU regulations.