You are here
Assistant to the Head of Administration
IES Post no. 16
Grade: B 4 - B 5
Ref: IES (2013) PE/59
The EU Institute for Security Studies, an agency of the Council of the European Union based in Paris, is recruiting an Assistant to the Head of Administration
Working in close collaboration with the Head of Administration, the person appointed to this post will be involved in the full range of administrative tasks at the Institute.
Under the instructions of the Head of Administration in his role as Financial Controller, s/he will:
- be secondary authorising officer
- register budgetary commitments
- prepare necessary documents for tasking accountants to carry out payments and reimbursements
- maintain a correct presentation of budgetary reports
- keep track of member states’ financial contributions
Under the supervision of the Head of Administration in his role as Head of Personnel, s/he will:
- liaise with health insurance providers
- liaise with relevant administrative bodies (e.g. the French Ministry for Foreign Affairs), in particular regarding the delivery and renewal of residence permits
- draw up employment contracts
- welcome new staff members
- process, when necessary, requests for security clearance
- monitor staff benefit entitlements and allowances
- deal with requests for training for staff members
- maintain staff holiday records
- maintain individual staff files, as well as administrative files
In addition, will identify and suggest possible improvements to administrative and management procedures.
The appointee must:
- be a national of an EU member state
- ideally have several years’ experience of working for an international organisation
- have an excellent knowledge of one of the two working languages of the Institute (French, English) and a very good command of the other
- have a good knowledge of office systems and a willingness to learn new relevant software
The successful candidate should:
- have further education level (A levels plus 2 years’ training or university degree)
- have excellent personal communication skills
- be methodical and organised
- be able to respect strict confidentiality
- be at ease working in an international environment
The Institute reserves the right to appoint eligible internal candidates to this post.
Due to the volume of applications it receives, the Institute regrets that it cannot reply individually to each candidate. Only candidates selected for interview will be contacted.
1. a (Europass type) CV
2. a covering letter of motivation, and
3. the name and coordinates of one, maximum two referees (who may be contacted only if a candidate is short-listed)
should be sent to the Head of Administration at the following email address: drh(at)iss.europa.eu, by 1800 hours (CET) on 20 September 2013 at the latest with IES(2013)PE/59 in the subject line. Incomplete or late applications will not be considered.
The successful candidate will be offered a fixed-term three year contract, with the possibility of extension. S/he will be expected to start as from 1 January 2014.
The EU Institute for Security Studies is an equal-opportunities employer in accordance with its Staff Rules and with EU regulations.